Smite Organic Powder 25 kg (Diatomaceous Earth)
Buy 10 or more sacks for the best price!
Smite Organic Powder is an organic, naturally-mined, mineral product made up of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. When crushed to a fine powder it feels similar to chalk powder to the touch, but when viewed under a microscope the fine particles resemble shards of broken glass! It is this ‘broken glass’ effect which is deadly to any insect, but harmless to animals, fish, fowl, food and humans.
Insects, mites, lice, fleas and spiders etc have a waxy outer shell (exoskeleton) covering their bodies Smite Powder kills insect pests by breaking down the waxy exoskeleton and then absorbing lipids and body fluids, which causes them to dry out and die. Because the product is harmless to animals, plants and humans it is safe to use in higher risk areas (such as where animals, children or food are present) and ingestion of the product by animals and birds during natural foraging even has digestive benefits!
Smite Powder is also safe for earthworms and has no detrimental effect on the natural ecosystem.
- Use for the control of: Ants, Fleas, Bedbugs, Cockroaches, Stored Product Insects, Mites (including Red Mite), Book Lice, Silverfish, Earwigs etc.
- Safe for use in Food Areas.
- Contains no toxic chemicals or pesticides
- Kills by ‘mechanical action’ so insects cannot become resistant to it – it kills every time!
- Once applied it will continue to work for ever (unless physically removed by washing or cleaning away)
- Can be added to other attractants as a bait, if necessary to attract a particular species e.g. cockroaches prefer a sweet bait.
Smite Organic Powder has multiple uses:
- Insect control in housing and on the animal
- Feed additive: Many benefits have been reported for the addition of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth to animal feed. These include:
- Improved feed conversion and weight gain
- Supports good health
- Supports egg and milk production
- Supports a healthy gut
- Supports intestinal hygiene
- Dryer droppings in poultry
- Reduction of flies, fleas, ticks in the environment
- Includes 15 trace minerals – great for humans, animals plant and soil
- Supports coat and feather condition
- Aids digestion
- Colon cleaner
- Eliminates pests in stored grains
- Reduces manure odour
- Anti-fungal properties – good for garden funagl growth
- Cost effective and economical
Apply dry Smite Organic Powder in and around areas which insects frequent. Smite Powder can also be mixed with water at the rate of 4 tablespoons of Smite Powder to 1 gallon (4.5lt) of water and sprayed onto the areas to be treated. As the powder doesn’t dissolve the mixture should be shaken or agitated frequently to ensure the mixture is consistent. The addition of 1 tablespoon of mild detergent (such as washing-up liquid) to the mixture will help to keep the powder in suspension and distribute it further into cracks and crevices.
Smite Powder can also be applied directly to animals, dogs, cats and poultry to control fleas and mite (seek veterinary advice first) and can be added to dustbaths for wild or domestic birds or poultry. Lightly work the powder into the coat or feathers, paying attention to areas the animal cannot reach, such as the scalp. Repeat the application once a month. As with all topically-applied products, it is recommended to test a small area first, in case of individual sensitivity to the product.
Stored Grain or Feed: Add Smite Powder at the rate of about 10g per kilo of feed to both kill existing pests and prevent further re-infestation.