Game Cover Crops – Maize
Maize is one of the most widely used game cover crops – used for cover and feed.
For game cover purposes a crop of maize can always be relied upon to provide the perfect holding cover for game birds. They can move easily through it and the cob can provide valuable feed.
- Good protection from airborne predators
- Plenty of room to move around
- High quality feed for the shooting season
Advice for sowing:
- Maize grows best in free draining, south facing, sheltered land with well structured soil.
- Ensure the seedbed is not compacted by deep ploughing
- Sow at 40,000 – 45,000 seeds per acre (more in heavier soils)
- Ensure good weed control measures as maize does not compete well with other plants.
- Sowing April – June
- 40,000 seeds per acre
- In Packs of 50,000 seeds
- Prices from approx £47 per pack (this is over an acre’s worth!)
For more information on Game Cover Crops please do give us a call with your requirements, we will do our best to give you the best prices! 01308 485422 or you can email a list through to email@example.com